I was lucky enough to spend some time this holiday weekend with my family down the shore. My mom absolutely loved the beach, just as much as she loved to cook. In honor of her and her passion for food and the beach, my family and I decided to make a delicious lobster dinner at our house using real live lobsters that we bought from our local market.
Here is what you will need in order to get started:
1 Large 8 quart or 16 quart pot
3 or 4 small forks or more depending on number of people
1 large bowl
1 pair of scissors
4-8 tbs of salt or sea water
1 and 1/2 pound lobsters per person
1 small dish of melted butter
1 loaf of french bread for dipping
Directions for Boiling Lobster
1. When cooking lobsters always buy them from the store when they are still alive. A good size lobster will weigh anywhere from 1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds. Never buy lobsters with cracked shells or missing parts. Make sure to store the lobsters in a paper bag in the refrigerator and plan to cook them that same day.
2. Next, fill 3/4 of a large 8 quart or 16 quart pot with water, and then add salt. If you are using an 8 quart pot you would need to add about 3-4 table spoons of salt. For a 16 quart pot, you would need about 7 or 8 tablespoons. If you are feeling adventurous, you can also try using real sea water. Whatever you choose just make sure the water is really salty. In addition, prepare to cook lobsters one or two at a time depending on the size of your pot. If you are using a 16 quart pot you can probably fit up to 3 lobsters.
3. Then, bring the pot of water to a boil. Remember to keep the rubber bands on the its claws as you place the lobsters headfirst into the pot, or else you can risk being pinched. I find that the lobster still tastes great despite leaving the rubber bands on. If you are using a lobster that weights 1 pound, set the timer and let it boil for 12-15 minutes. For a 1 and 1/2 pound lobster, boil it for 15-20 minutes. You’ll notice the lobsters will get bright red when they are done, but always set the timer too. Never just rely on the color to determine when they are ready.
4. Use a tong to remove lobsters from pot, and let them cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
Tips for Eating the Lobster
- Eating lobsters can be kind of tricky so make sure you have the right tools before you begin. First, you will need several nutcrackers and a pair of scissors for breaking open the shells. Next, you will also need a large bowl to put the shells in when you are done eating, a small dish of melted butter for dipping the lobster meat in, and several small forks.
- Start with the tail by ripping and twisting it away from the rest of the lobster’s body.
- Use scissors to cut the tail down the middle and then peel the shell open to remove the meat in one big piece.
- Break off the claws from the body by twisting and pulling them. Using a nutcracker, crack the shell open. Then use the small fork to remove the meat from inside the claw.
- You will see some green stuff at the end of the tail which is called the Tomalley, or liver. Some people don’t like to eat green stuff, while some don’t mind it at all. It’s really up to you whether you want to eat it or not. You could also try mixing the tomalley with other ingredients for a different dish. Try this Tomalley Croutons Recipe.
- Use scissors to split open the body cavity. Inside the body cavity you will find some meat in the front. Use the small fork to pull the meat out, and dispose the rest of the body cavity in the large bowl. Enjoy!
Here are some side dishes that you can make with lobster.
Side Dishes to Make with Lobsters
- Salad. Mix multicolored peppers, onions, lettuce, and cherry tomatoes in a large bowl. Add creamy balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I recommend Briannas Home Style New American Dressing Creamy Balsamic — 12 fl oz (Pack of 2)because it is light, not too creamy or acidic, and contains less additives than other dressings I’ve tried.
- Corn on the cob.
- Bread. Dip the bread in the left over melted butter used to dip the lobster in.
- Potato Salad. I usually go to the deli and get the store bought potato salad, but you can also make your own by following this Potato Salad Recipe.
Enjoy! Feel free to leave any comments or questions below. I will get back to you shortly.